Asbestos Disease Statistics
By Warren Miller. 7th November 2016
A summary of the statistics for the four main diseases associated with asbestos exposure . . .
Mesothelioma in Great Britain: annual deaths, IIDB cases and projected future deaths to 2030.
Annual deaths in the UK from Mesothelioma have increased over the last 50 years. The latest information shows that:
- In 2104, there were 2,515 mesothelioma deaths in the UK, 2,556 deaths in 2013, and 2,549 deaths in 2012
- The latest projections suggest that there will continue to be around 2,500 deaths per year for the rest of this current decade before annual numbers begin to decline
- The continuing increase in annual mesothelioma deaths in recent years has been driven mainly by deaths among those aged 75 and above
- Men who worked in the building industry when asbestos was used extensively are now among those most at risk of mesothelioma
- There were 2,130 new cases of mesothelioma assessed for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit in 2015 compared with 2,215 in 2014
- There were many more male deaths than femail. In 2014 there were 2,101 male deaths and 414 female deaths
Asbestos Lung Cancer Deaths
- Recent research suggests there are currently about as many asbestos lung cancer deaths each year in the UK as there are mesothelioma deaths
- Implying there are more than 2,000 lung cancer deaths from previous asbestos exposure each year.
- The estimate is uncertain as smoking can increase the risk of lung cancer as well as asbestos exposure
Deaths from asbestosis are increasing in Great Britain. The latest information shows:
- In 2014 there were 431 deaths where the death certificate mentioned asbestosis and not mesothelioma compared with 109 in 1978
- In 2014 there were 198 deaths with asbestosis specifically recorded as the underlying cause of death compared with 36 in 1978
- There were 1175 new cases assessed for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) in 2015 compared with 985 in 2014
- Increases in annual numbers of deaths have been driven mainly by cases above age 75 years
Annual deaths where death certificates mentioned asbestosis but not mesothelioma, and IIDB cases 1978-2015
Warren Miller MSc. BSc
Claims manager and website author
Warren has been assisting victims of Mesothelioma and asbestos cancer for more than 18 years. He is also the senior technical author of this website, responsible for sourcing legal and medical material beneficial to those who may been recently diagnosed with an asbestos disease.. Read more >