A Guide to benefits for sufferers of asbestos related diseases

If you have developed an asbestos-related disease through work and it can be proven that you employer was negligent in allowing this to happen, you may be entitled to claim benefits from the Department of Work and Pensions as well as having a legal claim against your employers.

The asbestos related conditions which are eligible for benefits are:

(Pleural Plaques are not classed as a prescribed disease therefore if you have been diagnosed with pleural plaques alone, you will not be entitled to any benefits.)

Industrial Injuries Benefit Details

  • The amount of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) you will receive depends on how badly you are affected by your asbestos-related illness.
  • The IIDB can be claimed at any age. There is no lower or upper age and therefore can be claimed long after you have retired.
  • The IIDB can be claimed if you have not paid any National Insurance Contributions.
  • It is not affected by income and can be paid on top of any amount of savings, earnings or other income. It will however reduce your Pension Credit, Income based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing/Council Tax Benefit. Please check what effect IIDB will have on your benefits.
  • IIDB is payable from 15 weeks after the onset of your illness. However if you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, it will be paid as soon as you are disabled by the disease.
  • It cannot be back dated more than 13 weeks.

If your disease was contracted because of work done before the 5th July 1948 you cannot claim IIDB but if as a result you have contracted pneumoconiosis, diffuse mesothelioma or primary carcinoma of the lung you may be able to apply for an allowance under the Pneumoconiosis, Byssinosis and Miscellaneous Diseases Benefits scheme.

You can request a claim form by telephone from the Benefits Office on 0800 88 22 00

People with speech or hearing problems using a text-phone can dial 0800 24 33 55

Or write to:

Department for Work and Pensions,
Phoenix House, Stephens Street,
Cumbria. LA14 1ZH

If you have an asbestos-related disease as a result of being exposed to asbestos whilst employed by HM Armed Forces you may be entitled to claim a war disablement pension instead of IIDB. Please contact:

Service Personnel & Veterans Agency,
Norcross, Blackpool. FY5 3ZZ.
Tel: 0800 169 22 77

Veterans Welfare Service, Albert Bridge House,
Bridge Street, Manchester. M60 9DF
Tel: 0161 831 2195/6

FreePhone 0800 923 0046
Official Asbestos Claim Form


£500K Awarded


£57K Awarded


£50K+ Awarded


£200K Awarded

Dec 2017

£15K Awarded


K. Cooke

June 2018

K Cooke

Mar 2018

K. Cooke

Jan 2018

W. Miller

Jan 2018

K. Cooke

Jan 2018

Apil Accredited